Thursday, July 31, 2003

WITH APOLOGIES TO BOB HOPE...THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES ROCKET!

On June 13th, that's right, Friday the 13th my daughter and I were fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. We were in Yankee Stadium getting ready to witness Roger Clemens fourth try at winning his 300th game. It was a magical night to be sure. We got to see Roger strike out Edgar Renteria of the St. Louis Cardinals for his 4,000th stikeout. Although it wasn't Rocket's sharpest game he gutted it out and left in the 7th inning after giving up just two runs, while striking out 10 and walking two. Fortunately, the bullpen help, consisting of Chris Hammond, Antonio Osuna and Mariano Rivera, held it together and blanked the Cardinals the rest of the way. Roger Clemens place in baseball history was cemented.

Over the next month Roger's starts were up and down. He'd be on one game and not in the next. He had an embarrassing loss against the Boston Red Sox at Yankee Stadium on July 5th and I just wondered if maybe Roger was finally wearing down. What was I thinking?

When I got home from New York City all my son Mason could say to me was, "Dad you were so lucky to see Roger Clemens win his 300th game." That's when I promised him that if Roger was scheduled to pitch when the Yankees visited Anaheim I would take him. Well, last night was the night. As I said, 'what was I thinking?'

The Yankees got Roger ahead 2-0 in the first inning and Roger took the mound. He allowed a one-out double to Darin Erstad and I though "Oh-oh." Not to worry though. Erstad made it as far as 3rd base where he was stranded. Roger cruised after that. The Angels threatened only once more in the third inning when the Angels got two on, with two-out when Adam Kennedy popped out to end the inning. From that point on the Rocket was in control. With every out you could sense a little more history in the Roger Clemens legacy being made.

In the eighth inning Roger was out on the mound when I was wondering if he would be allowed to finish the game. Then I saw Sterling Hitchcock get up and I sort of had a sinking feeling that Joe was going to have the bullpen finish out the game. Again, 'what was I thinking.' Before the eighth inning was over I looked back at the Yankees bullpen and saw that no one was throwing. I knew then that Torre was going to give Roger the opportunity to close this thing out.

By the bottom of the ninth inning most of the Angels faithful and a few Yankees fans had left Edison Field and I thought what kind of fans are you? You have the opportunity to watch, maybe the last 300 game winner ever, pitch a shutout in his last game at your park and you leave? No real baseball fans here. I don't care what uniform a guy like Roger Clemens is wearing. When you're a witness to something as special as this you stay until the last out is recorded.

God love my little boy. I knew he was tired, but he was a real trooper and stuck out the entire game. Roger made the bottom of the ninth inning look easy. When Adam Kennedy grounded out to second baseman Enrique Wilson to end the game Roger's reaction was classic, if not classy. He gave a little pump with his right fist, then pointed at his catcher, Jorge Posada, and the Yankees dugout. He then joined in the team high-five celebration and left the field. I turned to my boy and said, "You just saw the best of Roger Clemens." He said he was sorry it was going to be the first and last time he was going to see him pitch. I was sorry too. Because, like my son I knew this would be the last time I would see Roger Clemens pitch in person. And with that we exited the stadium and drove home.

Roger Clemens has always been one of my favorite players. Like Nolan Ryan and Sandy Koufax I have always been drawn to power pitchers. Even when he played for Boston and Toronto I liked his tenacity and rough edges. When Roger was traded to the Yankees in 1999 for popular David "Boomer" Wells I was one of the few Yankees fans who supported the trade. The traffic on the Yankee message boards lambasted the Yankees for making the trade. Instead of withering under the media and fan onslaught Roger just got stronger about the situation. Over the past 5 years Roger Clemens has won over all, but the most unforgiving 'he played for Boston' Yankees fans. Roger Clemens has earned the respect and support of the fans, media and his teammates. He is one of the leaders in the Yankees clubhouse. He doesn't lead with words, but with work and work ethic. He became a New York Yankee. HE IS A NEW YORK YANKEE!

Five years after the 2003 season ends make your reservations for Cooperstown to see Roger Clemens inducted to the Hall of Fame. He will be a first-ballot choice for induction and if he has his way he will go in wearing a Yankees cap. I am going to do my best to see that I get there to see that. If the Hall of Fame board is smart they'll give in to Roger's preference. He's earned it and he deserves it. But for now, I am going to enjoy the rest of this year and I plan to watch as many of Roger's starts as I can. I would suggest you do that too. If you're able to get out to a game when Roger is starting go and enjoy one of the last of his breed. A throwback pitcher who came in with power and will go out the same way.

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES ROGER! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!

PS: My favorite Roger Clemens moment: As most of you who visit and post on my board know Roger Clemens' sister Janet is a big supporter/contributer to the site. In 2001 I went back to New York to attend the Forum Party and see the "Old Timers" game. Before that party Janet and I only knew each other by posting and email. However, we became friends and I knew she was going to be at this party. What I didn't know was what was going to happen after she got there. She came rolling up in a van and she climbed out on one side and her brother Roger got out on the other. My trip to New York was my wife's 50th birthday present to me. I made the trip with my brother. Just having Roger attend the party was birthday surprise enough, but Janet did one better. I heard her call out my name. I was standing in the back of the pack and I looked at my brother with a "did she just call me up there?" look. I went up to where Janet and Roger was standing and Roger presented me with a baseball that he personally signed and personalized for me. The ball said "To Russ. Best Wishes. Rocket." On the side of the ball he autographed it and wrote CY5 (5 Cy Young awards at the time) and WSC 99.00 (World Series Champion 1999, 2000). You could have knocked me over with a feather. I protected that ball with my life and when I got home I put it in a ball case to protect it and put it in my small, but personal Yankees memorial spot. It stands beside my signed Mickey Mantle ball. I will always cherish those two items. I will always cherish that moment in New York and I will always cherish my friendship with Janet. Thank you Janet for providing me one of the big highlights in my life. Roger, thank you for your generosity. You made a big baseball fan eternally happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home